Friday, November 29, 2013

Always in season....

....are good books! 

Although yesterday was Thanksgiving, and today is the official beginning of the Christmas season, I still want to share these books with you.

Did you know the children fared better than the adults on the Mayflower voyage?

Working on the Mayflower was difficult.

The passengers and crew had very crowded conditions.

Moving further south to Williamsburg.

Daily life in Williamsburg is reenacted for visitors.

Participants wear clothing styles from the period.

A modern-day approach to food from the period.:-)

While I was not much of a history student when in school, visiting historical places has always been meaningful to me.  One such trip was to Plymouth, MA where we toured the replica of the Mayflower.  I could easily have spent an entire week returning to Plimouth Plantation!:-)

Williamsburg, VA, though a number of hours away, has been the destination for several visits.  There always seems to be something different to see there.

The books I have mentioned above are good to illustrate to children what it was like to live in those days.  The book shown in the last picture?  Well, I'd say you know who uses that one.:-)  The Sally Lunn recipe is in there!

I hope you will return for the next post.  It is time to celebrate my 2nd anniversary with blogging!  Giveaway details forthcoming!

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

10 comments:

  1. my williamsburg cookbook is about worn out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nellie, I would love to visit Williamsburg one day. We have a place called Conner Prairie Farm near here. It's the setting for rustic life style of days of old...so fun to see...but oh I don't think I could life like that. :):) xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  3. The illustrations in those books are wonderful Nellie. So bright and colorful!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was a lousy history student, but seeing things in person, or photos, can make a world of difference in sparking interest. That... and a history teacher that knows how to make things interesting and real! (I never had one, but hubby sure did)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That has always a place I wanted to visit. I think I could spend a week there too.
    I always enjoy your book Fridays.
    I hope you have a lovely day Nellie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got the Williamsburg cookbook, too. I minored in history -- major in Religion -- and one of my most favorite things is visiting historic sites. I like Williamsburg, but felt there were more things for sale than history the last time I was there. My first trip was before Christmas many years ago to see the decorations. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wasn't Williamsburg wonderful! We took our daughter there when she was in Middle School. Actually she planned the trip and chose WIlliamsburg as the place to visit. It's so interesting and full of history. It's a wonderful education for young and old.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely books, Nellie. I enjoy visiting Heritage Parks, to wander through homes and shops and see how folk once lived. I have known about Williamsburg since I used to look through National Geographics magazines during school days - a long time ago.
    Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving Day!
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting book. My ancestors came on the Mayflower.

    I love history and geography when I went to school I always thought how I would travel the world to see how people lived when I was older. I stayed home instead to raise a family but my girls have become world travellers.

    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete