Monday, November 18, 2013

Friday was National Bundt Day!

Better late to the party than never!  That seems to be my habitual pattern.:-)

Anyway, in honor of National Bundt Day, I am sharing this recipe with you.  Are you expecting a dessert?  Well, you will be surprised!  This is not a dessert!  It is bread!  The recipe comes from The Williamsburg Cookbook, publishing date of 1975. 

SALLY LUNN
1 cup milk
1/2 cup shortening
4 cups sifted all-purpose flour, divided
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2 packages active dry yeast
3 eggs
-Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. 10 minutes before the Sally Lunn is ready to be baked.
- Grease a 10-inch tube cake pan or a bundt pan.
- Heat the milk, shortening, and 1/4 cup water until very warm - about 120 degrees F.  The shortening does not need to melt.
- Blend the warm liquids into the flour mixture  Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed for about 2 minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Gradually add 2/3 cup of the remaining flour and the eggs and beat at high speed for 2 minutes.
- Add the remaining flour and mix well.  The batter will be thick but not stiff.
It will look something like this. 

- Cover and let the dough rise in a warm, draft-free lace (about 85 degrees F.) until it doubles in bulk - about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Isn't it pretty?

- Beat the dough down with a spatula or at the lowest spped on an electric mixer and turn into the prepared pan.

Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until it has increased in bulk 1/3 to 1/2 - about 30 minutes.


And - here it is!  Ready for the oven!

- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes at 350 degrees F.  (This needed barely 40 minutes!)
- Run a knife around the center and outer edges of the bread and turn it onto a plate to cool. (I didn't really need a knife, but used a plastic scraper in places it might have been a bit stuck.)

Just out of the oven!

Just out of the pan!

The Husband couldn't wait!

I really liked this recipe!  No kneading was required!:-)

Thank you for reading!  I really appreciate your comments.

18 comments:

  1. Oh, YUMMMMM!!! It has been too many years since I last made this! You might have started something here! Have a wonderful Monday, Dear Sister!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw Bundt I automatically assumed a cake with a drizzle. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i used to make this recipe all the time. isn't sally lunn just great bread?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you took such good pictures, I have always wondered what Sally Lunn looked like. I have read that recipe for years. It looks fantastic. I have had such fun this last week baking things I normally don't bake this might be fun to try, with some cranberries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm definitely going to try this recipe. Thanks for the directions. It looks yummy.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks absolutely wonderful. We're in soup season now. This will make a wonderful addition to some of our favorite soups.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nellie , What a gorgeous cake , I will bake this cake over the weekend , never bakes a cake with yeast before .
    I enjoy visitingyou , I find great reading material for my kids ... I have you in my blog roll on my sidebar , I can keep up with you . Thanks so much for sharing :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Warm bread, yum... a little slice (or two) of heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks so very good. Thanks for sharing. I never have luck with using yeast - no proper place to let it raise - so I probably won't try it. But it SURE LOOKS good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How did I not know that it was National Bundt Day?? That sounds like my kind of holiday :)

    Yours looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well my goodness... did I miss a chance to have cake? Bummer! That bundt cake looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nellie, Your house must be the best smelling house on the block !! I can only imagine the great aromas. Blessings to you , xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  13. this looks and sounds amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so yummy! I will have to try it using gluten free all purpose flour.

    xo Kat

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't had that cake in years and years and years-my mother used to make it. I might have to give it a try for the grandkids-xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow---looks like awesome bread. I can almost taste it when looking at it. YUM... It almost looks like an old-fashioned pound cake....

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Nellie, you baked a Sally Lunn and a heavenly one at that!!!

    Personally I think Bundt Day should be every day. Just look at your gorgeous Sally Lunn!!!

    I'm going to try and add this to my Bundt Day post. Definitely worth waiting for. I can just imagine how aromatic is was while baking.

    I'm so sorry it took me so long to visit. I'm having a problem with my email. It seems I've lost it all. Not to worry though, I made it here and I am delighted!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  18. It has been years for me to bake cake. Your cake has come out well with a perfect finish.

    ReplyDelete