Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Time for a recipe....

Good Wednesday morning to you!  How are things looking for you today where you are?  We have a nice, mild November day, with the high temperature predicted to reach the low-seventies!  Of course, this precedes a storm that is expected to arrive overnight.

In these Autumn days, there are a few favorites we enjoy.  One of these has been a simple recipe for baked beans.  It is from the Betty Crocker Dinner For Two from 1971, and I have multiplied the amounts of this recipe through the years, depending on how many were going to be served.

Just out of the oven!

I wish you could have seen them bubbling as I took this picture!  And - the aroma!  Wonderful!

SPEEDY BAKED BEANS

2 strips bacon, diced
1 small onion, minced
1 can (1 lb.) baked beans with pork or pork and beans
1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
2 Tablespoons chili sauce

- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.  Saute bacon and onion until bacon is crisp and onion yellow.  Stir in remaining ingredients.  Pour into greased 1-qt. baking dish.  Bake uncovered 45 minutes, until the beans are brown and bubbling.  Serve hot.  2 generous servings.

In an effort to not include foods with high fructose corn syrup as an ingredient, it was a challenge to find the ingredients for this favorite.  I finally found Showboat brand of pork and beans at a nearby Ingles Supermarket, and the chili sauce was found in an organic grocery store.  Also, I have used turkey bacon for a number of years in an effort to decrease the fat.

That's all for this time.  There is still more cooking that has been going on here.:-)  Perhaps there is another day of recipes coming - soon!:-)

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

16 comments:

  1. Yummy! Thanks for sharing, and have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I now have to dust off my mothers Betty Crocker book!

    Looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH yes, I remember it well. YUMMY yummy! Good thing I am headed to Shoney's here in 45 minutes!! That made me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love baked beans and I have them each chance I get. I have my old Betty Crocker cookbook that was a wedding gift 50 some odd years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a baked beans lover and can't wait to try this easy version! I've never added chili sauce to it, it has to be delicious! I'm new here and happy to find your great blog. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nellie, I like your recipe...not too much , and looks great. Since I got married so young, I never really knew how to cook....but my dear MIL got married even younger and she had been cooking for years. Bless her soul , she taught me a few things. xoxo,Susie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chili sauce? We eat a lot of baked beans, but I've never tried that. They sure look good!

    We must be getting that rain before it heads your way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nellie, I'll give this recipe a try. I've shied away from baking beans, as my few attempts have never turned out to my liking (certainly never as good as Mom's)! Thanks always for taking time to post.

    Sharon in Alabama

    ReplyDelete
  9. I must need to go eat lunch because my stomach started growling as I read your recipe. It looks fantastic. Easy too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds good and easy. I often do beans kind of like this but have never thought to add chili sauce. I bet that makes quite a bit of difference. Thanks!!! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Nellie , bake beans , my family loves and I will do this one this weekend , thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That may be the most delicious baked beans I have ever seen. Your sister mentioned this recipe on FB---and it made my mouth water just thinking about it.

    I am one who loves Baked Beans. I actually own a beanpot ---and my beans are pretty delicious also if I may say so myself.

    Thanks, Nellie.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those beans sound yummy. To feed a crowd, I used to make baked beans from dried limas. Not worth the trouble for just my hubby and me. (But YOUR recipe is...)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds tasty and warm - especially on this chilly day here in KY!

    ReplyDelete