Thursday, November 8, 2012

Eat your veggies....

First, I want to welcome the new follower!  Thank you for coming along!

Today, I want to share the Sweet Potato Casserole recipe from the adult day care menu.  It is actually a combination of recipes, and may not be the one that I have prepared in past years.  We prefer sweet potatoes just baked simply, whole or in wedges, with a little olive oil. 

SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
3 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes (I used canned to save time).
1/4 cup orange juice
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
1 can (8 1/4 oz.) crushed pineapple, drained
- Add orange juice and melted butter to sweet potatoes in mixing bowl; beat until well-blended.  Stir in pineapple.  Pour into oblong baking dish sprayed with olive oil. Add Topping (recipe below).  Bake in 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes, or until browned and bubbly.  Serves 6.
TOPPING
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup chopped nuts
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
- Mix brown sugar, flour, and nuts together; add butter and blend.  Sprinkle over sweet potatoes in baking dish.  If you wish, you could add a little cinnamon to the Topping mixture.  I didn't but the flavor would be good with the sweet potatoes.

Reprise.  
There were also Peas with Pearl Onions on the plate.  That was rather simple to prepare.  I used a bag of frozen pearl onions and sauteed them for a bit in about 2 Tablespoons of butter.  Then I added four bags of frozen peas and a little water, heating just until the peas were no longer frozen.  I delivered them still in the pan, so they were reheated on the stove top before they were served.  Oh, the peas don't have to be covered with water in the pan.  In fact, I prefer to add as little water as possible.

The recipe that I use for Cranberry Relish comes straight from Betty Crocker.

CRANBERRY-ORANGE RELISH
4 cups cranberries
1 navel orange
2 cups sugar
- Chop cranberries and orange in food chopper; stir in sugar; refrigerate three hours before serving.

So, now I'm REALLY in the mood for Thanksgiving!:-)  There will undoubtedly be some more cooking around here, plus the appearance of a turkey or two.:-)

Oh, I guess I need to review that cake recipe for some of you who have not been following very long.  That will come in the next post!

I send along wishes for a good day to each of you.

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.


8 comments:

  1. Those recipes sound great, Nellie. Love the orange in the sweet potatoes! Would you believe we are having an early Thanksgiving this weekend? xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. There may be a few differences in that sweet potato recipe, but it is still a great one! I am not fond of the sticky sweetness from marshmallows, so this one, with that wonderful crunchy topping, is just great!! I remember, MANY years ago, when I first tasted it. I kept going back for more because it was so good! Love the cranberry relish and peas/onions, too, and I'm sure those folks at the day care enjoyed this meal a LOT!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've copied the sweet potato recipe.
    Thanks. I'll be trying it very soon. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! And a good day to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nellie, I really like peas. You fix them like my late MIL always did...so good. Smiles, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. the pineapple added to the sweet potatoes sounds lovely, thank you for sharing again today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love sweet potato casserole and I haven't made it in ages. Just might have to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never made that recipe for sweet potato casserole and need to give it a try. I too am NOT into the marshmallows but the idea of using pineapple and orange juice sounds really delicious.

    I've made the relish like that before and it is SO good. It is so fresh tasting. And I think actually better for you than cooked as it is raw.

    Thanks for such great recipes for Thanksgiving. They both are yummy I know!!!

    Nann

    ReplyDelete