Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Which dessert?

Well, the "mystery" is over!  Here is what was left of the dessert that was served at Advent By Candlelight on Tuesday evening.

Red Velvet Pound Cake

Yes, the Red Velvet Pound Cake was the dessert I chose.  The other one will be stored in the freezer for later enjoyment.:-)

This is my table.

After setting up in the afternoon.

It was about 1:00 in the afternoon when I went to church to set the table.  I took lots of other pictures of other tables which I will share with you at some point.  At this time, I must hurry and post the recipe, then get busy.  I have invited the chorus here (after our premiere performance of the Christmas season) this afternoon for an early supper - 20 plus!  Yikes!  What was I thinking?!?:-)

RED VELVET POUND CAKE

1 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup solid shortening
3 cups sugar
7 eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 ounces red food coloring
3 cups all-purpose flour
3 Tablespoons cocoa
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk

- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Beat together butter and shortening  until smooth.  Add sugar and beat until fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time; beat well after each addition.  Stir in vanilla and food coloring.
- Combine dry ingredients.  Add to creamed mixture alternately with milk; beat well.  Begin and end with dry ingredients.  Pour into greased and floured 10-inch tube pan.  Bake 1 hour and 20 minues.  Let set about 10 minutes and remove from pan.  Yield:  About 16 servings.

More table pictures will be forthcoming.  Now - it's on to "all things pumpkin!"  Anyone for a bowl of Pumpkin Chili?  Oh - do you want that recipe, too?  It's up next!

Thank you for reading.  I appreciate your comments.


12 comments:

  1. How beautiful is that velvet cake! Turkey chili is on our dinner menu this evening. Time to use up the rest of Thanksgiving turkey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a wonderful knack for making a table look festive and inviting! I'm sure that cake was a hit, too! Oh, and we are always up for recipes!! Have a wonderful day with your singing friends! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how pretty...

    I'm sure your impromptu invite to an early dinner, went smoothly too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OKAY---at least, the people are your table were nice enough to save the other HALF for me... ha ha

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your table and the dessert looks so good! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your table looks beautiful, Nellie. I am in awe that you are having 20+ for dinner so quickly!! I am sure you will do a great job. xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty table you set!
    Thanks for the recipe. It's one I know I will love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The table looks lovely and the recipe is going in my to try folder - it just looks and sounds yummy!

    Enjoy!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh your table looks wonderful and so is that recipe. I bet you are really busy. It sounds like you have a nice December lined up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooooooooh... the table looks nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That red velvet cake looks amazing. Your table setting is very pretty, too. I know what a lot of work you put into it all- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your table looks so beautiful, Nellie. And the cake looks delish.

    Now WHAT are you serving 20 people for dinner? Oh my! That was so kind of you.

    Take care and thanks so much for your visits and comments. You know how I love them! Susan

    ReplyDelete