Thursday, November 29, 2012

Those other tables....

Good Thursday morning to you!  We have a cold, frosty one here, but the sun is out brightly shining, so it will probably warm up some today.

As promised, I want to share some pictures of other tables at Advent By Candlelight at our church on Tuesday night.







I believe you have an idea of what this event is like.  It is really pretty with all the candles lit and the overhead lighting on a low setting.  My camera, however, doesn't do very well in that little lighting, even with the flash.  We had a guest speaker, and our offering was divided between two special missions - Henderson Settlement in Frakes, KY, this year's emphasis for our Conference UMW, and Action Ministries, a program in Georgia.

Now - on to the guests for early supper after our chorus performance on Wednesday afternoon.  As it turns out, only 14 were able to attend, but we had a good time, nonetheless.  I mentioned Pumpkin Chili in the last post.  My daughter, Munchomom, has featured this recipe on her blog, but I cannot remember any other source she may have mentioned. 

THREE-BEAN PUMPKIN CHILI

1 Tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1/2 pound ground turkey
1 15-ounce can each of black beans, kidney beans, and white beans, drained and rinsed
1 29-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 15-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
1 15-ounce can pumpkin
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

- In large pot, over medium heat, warm olive oil.  Add garlic, onion, and peppers, and saute until onions start to turn translucent.  Add meat, breaking it up with fork, and cook until no pink remains.  Add remaining ingredients and heat until mixture starts to bubble.  Reduce heat to low.  Cook 1 to 2 hours to blend seasonings.  Serves 8 to 10.

Wait!!  That's not all the pumpkin that was served!!  There were even pumpkin desserts!!  Now, I've  moved to the most interesting, haven't I?  Well, I have to save something for another day's posting.:-)  Perhaps that will be the next post.

If any of you from chorus are reading, let me say once again what a pleasure it is to be able to be part of this group!  I'm really happy you were able to come on Wednesday afternoon.

Thank you so much for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.

10 comments:

  1. Good morning Nellie! First thanks for your wonderful comments on my blog! you are always so thoughtful! Now that chili sounds very interesting! What did you think of it? And your table settings were beautiful!!!! Wish we lived closer, we would certainly be attending your church...smile...

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these lovely holiday tables with us! Very pretty!

    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my LAND, I would love to have been there for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the tables are so pretty, yet all different.
    Just lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, everything is just beautiful and very festive, while looking most elegant at the same time! I'm sure it was a lovely evening, and I hope the offerings were generous for those worthy mission efforts.

    Your chili sounds most intriguing! I do recall that posting by Munchomom, and I have seen other pumpkin chili recipes, too. I'm sure your ladies from the chorus left your house feeling quite satisfied!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just beautiful!!! All of the tables. And I'm sure it was lovely with the candles and dimmer lights!

    Wow, that is some Chili recipe!

    And do you know what I like so much? That your offering went to Missions in the US. I really, really like that plan.

    "Auntie"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nellie- The tables are beautiful and what a fun and worthy event to take part in. What an unusual recipe-I bet it is really good- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. The tables look beautiful and I'll bet with candles and low lights, it was quite a nice atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful table set-ups, Nellie. They look similar to ones I used to attend at my old church in Texas. Great memories!!!!

    I'd love that chili--since I like all of the ingredients... AND--there's lots of fiber and protein in it... YUM.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh it must have been beautiful with all of those candles lit and the fellowship that surrounded you all.

    Enjoy your weekend!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete