Saturday, November 10, 2012

The star of the show....

Good Saturday morning to you!  Do you have any special plans for the day?  We are hoping to watch some football on TV.:-)  UT and Missouri will play around noon, and the game is to be televised.  This has not been an outstanding season for the Vols.:-(  We are hoping they win today!

The "star of the show" that I mentioned, though, has nothing to do with football.  I'm talking about the turkey that will take center stage on many tables this month.  While we have our family gathering on Thanksgiving Day, I know there are many of you who have Thanksgiving celebrations planned at other times. 

Turkey will be part of our Thanksgiving Day meal; however, I have spotted a few turkeys already parading through the house!

Waiting for "the bird."

Waiting for the gravy!

How about some Chocolate Cream Cheese Turkey Mints?

Keeping an eye on the goings-on in the kitchen.

Supervising reading time.

Ready with a cheery "gobble-gobble" greeting.

Some mantle decor.

Through the years, we have enjoyed turkey in different ways.  We have found that the simplest preparation is the best for us.  As most of us prefer the white meat, I plan to buy only a turkey breast, actually two of them.  While fresh ones are available in our area, we will go with frozen.  Also, I plan to use the slow-cooker/crockpot to prepare our turkey.  I will use sage and rosemary from our herb garden and will probably add an onion along with some carrots for flavor.   On Wednesday night I will plug in the two crockpots, and the turkey will be ready by morning.  We plan to have our meal at noon.  For us, the most important aspect of the day will be gathering with family!  Our times together are far too infrequent!

Thank you for reading.  I appreciate your comments.


12 comments:

  1. What? You can do turkey in a crockpot? I had no idea! I suppose the skin doesn't get brown though?

    I love your cute turkeys. I used to say I LIVED with a turkey but he has shaped up over the years! xoDiana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh!i love all your turkeys....sounds like you're in for an amazing Thanksgiving! I know what you mean about family times..we will go to our son's in laws... Always n amazing time!

    Blessings,
    Gert

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a great thanksgiving you have planned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love turkey and seeing cute turkeys all around the house! Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. The turkey platter is so pretty. I have never thought of cooking turkey in a crockpot. I always cook a whole turkey because we all like the dark meat too. I think the crockpot sounds like a good idea for a turkey breast. It all sounds good,

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, I never thought o turkey in the crock pot! Wow those are beautiful turkey plates (platters), sounds like you have everything well planned and I agree simple is best!!Having your own herbs is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am looking forward to joining that family celebration, and you are so right that we don't see some of the family often enough. Perhaps that's a good thing, as it leaves us wanting more! :-) It is always a great time, and the food is secondary to the fellowship that we enjoy. Looking forward to it, planning to bring some ham and a couple of pies to the meal! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter is hosting on Friday and the turkey will be deep fried. I'm not a huge fan of turkey, I prefer chicken, but I love all the side dishes that go with it and the opportunity to have family together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A nice collections of turkeys!!

    I never would have though to cook a turkey in a crock pot. That sounds easy and no trouble. What a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a fun turkey collection. We take turns with Thanksgiving hosting. This year, we are in West MI potlucking at my parents. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, you have such pretty turkey dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all your 'participatory' turkeys around the house. They are perfect to be a wonderful reminder of the season. I have cooked Turkey breast in the crockpot often and it always comes out fabulous. So moist and plenty of yummy drippings for gravy. Oh I'm getting so hungry thinking about it!!!

    Nann

    ReplyDelete