Monday, November 19, 2012

Another step....

Let me welcome a new visitor!  Thank you for reading along.

I hope everyone has had a good week-end.  This week will be a special one for many of us.  I'm sure some of you are taking steps toward having your special Thanksgiving preparations underway.  I have taken another one here - cranberry sauce!

Here it is, in the dish ready to serve.  Oh!  Maybe I need to have a larger serving dish.  There are some of us who consider cranberry sauce as a side dish rather than a relish.:-) 

The recipe I use is simple and doesn't use anything except cranberries, sugar, and water, and is found in my trusty Betty Crocker cookbook.

CRANBERRY SAUCE

4 cups cranberries, washed, any stems removed
2 cups sugar
2 cups water

- Stir sugar into water in a saucepan; heat to boiling; boil for 5 minutes.
- Add cranberries; heat to boiling; boil for another 5 minutes.
- Cool; refrigerate at least 8 hours.

Susan Branch has posted a way to make Cranberry Sauce in the oven on her website.  I am going to try this way for Christmas!  It seems so much simpler.  Have any of you tried making it this way?

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.







14 comments:

  1. My MIL used to make something, I think it was relish, with cranberries...omg ..so good. I have never made cranberry sauce. Once when I was a newly married 16 year old..I did that can stuff..what the heck is that stuff?xo, Susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never made Cranberry Sauce. I always used what comes in the cans of both kinds of sauce. :-)

    But oh yes, it is a very, very, very important part of the meal!!!! :-)

    And it's pretty too, as your pic shows.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't made cranberry sauce in a few years but I LOVE it. Only one of my sons likes the whole berry sauce the others prefer the canned smooth sauce. They don't know what they're missing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just buy a can of cranberry sauce...lol but I'm sure yours is better! Now in the oven sounds good! Let us know how that turns out. Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nellie

    First I want to thank you for your kind words and visits to The Old Parsonage.

    I use a pink depression glass dish for our cranberry sauce too.

    Just realized that I never became a follower - that's been remedied:)

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nellie,
    Yep, that is my favorite recipe for Cranberry sauce. I think it is one of my favorite things to make. I have never made it in the oven. You are right this is just so easy. I will make mine on Wednesday when I make all of my pies.
    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just posted my cranberry sauce today too! it is that time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never made cranberry sauce.
    I always buy the jelly kind in a can. The only time I ever eat it is Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mine will be canned, but thanks for reminding me to put it on my list! I don't think about it, because I don't eat it, but others sure do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's very interesting to learn more about your traditional fare for Thanksgiving. Some very tasty looking recipes.
    Good that you were able to get away for a nice break before your preparations began.
    Thank you for your always welcome comments on my blog. It was a beautiful sunny day when we visited the Homestead and farm. In fact, it was hot!
    Hope everything goes well this week as you celebrate your Thanksgiving Day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love cranberry sauce Nellie. That is the way Jim used to make it for us. Since he is gone I use the canned stuff and it is not the same at all. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nellie- This is the way I always make my cranberry sauce. I'm not sure if it is exactly 5 minutes after it starts boiling but I boil it until all the berries pop open. It will seem pretty "soupy" at this point but as it cools the pectin sets up and it gets just the right firmness. I also use a bit less sugar than it calls for. I use 1-1/2 cups-it is sweet and tart at that point. Good luck-xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, Sister, I read this early this morning but got sidetracked before making a comment! I love your cranberry sauces, and you have made some wonderful varieties that are more like a side dish than a relish for me! Looking forward to joining the crowd this Thursday! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Nellie...Oh, don't you LOVE Susan Branch? She's a darling. Never made cranberry sauce, myself. I really like the one in the can! ha ha ha

    Take care and thanks for your visits. Susan

    ReplyDelete