Thursday, November 15, 2012

One week from today....

Happy Thursday to everyone!  Do you realize that one week from today is actually Thanksgiving Day?  Time is really flying by!

I have shared some of my Thanksgiving books with you earlier.  Today I want to share another one, particularly trying to show the work of the artist.

Newell Convers Wyeth was born in 1882, the first of three generations of an extraordinary family of artists.  He admired the work of Henry David Thoreau and studied under Howard Pyle.  His first published illustration appeared on the cover of The Saturday Evening Post in 1903.  However, his most famous illustrations were for children's classics such as Treasure Island, Robin Hood, The Last of the Mohicans, and Rip Van Winkle.  Less known are Wyeth's murals which he painted for a wide variety of clients.

In 1940, Wyeth was asked to create a series of murals for the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company in New York.  It is from this series that the illustrations for this book were taken.

Wyeth challenged the existing notions of Pilgrim society as being severe by depicting the pleasures and beauty of the colony.










Many of us are probably in the midst of our own Thanksgiving preparations.  In all our "busyness," let's remember to enjoy the beauty around us!  We have much for which to be thankful!

Thank you for reading.  I really appreciate your comments.


12 comments:

  1. beautiful pages, and such good advice

    ReplyDelete
  2. What wonderful images. I agree-sometimes it is so easy to get so caught up in everything that we forget to enjoy what is right in front of us- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! It is just a week away! :-)

    Such lovely art work. I must look him up, and enjoy more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree that we have many blessings to remember this season, and ALL the time! Thank you for sharing those lovely pictures with us! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of my books of the Pilgrims but I don't have that one. What great pictures and I have always enjoyed the artwork of N.C. Wyeth.
    I will have to find that book. Yep, I am making my grocery list now for next week. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so ready for next week. It's been a year of major loss for both sides of our family. Empty seats will be at this year's table. It will be a Thanksgiving of reflection and celebrating life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the artwork and thanks for the Thanksgiving wishes!

    Happy Thanksgiving to you too sweet friend!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm just hoping everyone is well for Thanksgiving. I've now got a second sick grandchild and hubby is starting to sound like he's getting sick, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hard to believe we'll be eating turkey next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Allow me to thank you for those images!!

    www.anucreations.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am a big N C Wyeth and Howard Pyle fan!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are right in telling us to slow down, Nellie! I'm trying to do that. I've been enjoying Gladys Taber's work - I love her observations.

    ReplyDelete